From the curb during a neighborhood yard sale, I rescued four chairs - free. The owner even helped load them into my truck. They turned out to be as free as a Saint Bernard pup.
These pics above are the "after" shots. I must say, the finish is now terrific. I am happy with the outcome. But they were a lot of work, more than any chair I have re-done.
They required lots of sanding, which I do by hand. I went thru a lot of sandpaper! Then I painted using a semi-gloss paint. After a few days of curing, I sanded and distressed the finish, following up with Bri Wax in Light Brown.
Painting and finishing the wood frames was the easy part.
I used a double layer of burlap, which is inexpensive. However, the tedious process of finishing the backs was time-consuming. I went through 18 yards of Chinese braid.
While I like the finished product, I wouldn't attempt these again. Typically, people don't want to pay very much for chairs at local venues and I feel like I should get $80 to $90 each. We'll see what happens - they're at Good Company for this weekend's sale.
Here's the before picture - they were covered in a polyester fabric. They are solid chairs - Salem House Furniture pieces.